Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Catching Up

Yes, we are all still alive in Arizona. We do live in the area of the Monument Fire and did have to evacuate for about a week, but no damage to our house. It came darn close though.

There is so much to catch up on. Every morning I go for a walk and take one of the dogs with me. The last time it was Zane's turn, a lady was in her front yard with her fat, black Cocker Spaniel. The dog came running to us. The lady's standing there calling the dog, who completely ignores her. Zane does NOT like dogs running up on him, so I stepped between, body blocked, and the dog kept coming. I blocked again and the dog ran right into my leg. A couple of more blocks, and the dog finally gave up and headed home. Zane and I continued our walk.

That evening, we were at the park for obedience run-throughs with friends. We had a partial ring set up and I was running Bella through Open, so all off-leash. A woman walks right into the ring while we're working with her poodle on a flexi-lead pulling ahead of her. Bella also doesn't like strange dogs just coming up on her. I stepped between her and the dog and said, "Please leave the ring." The woman kept coming. "Please leave now." I had to ask three times before she would leave.

For these kind of dogs, it is so important that they see me taking charge and protecting them. That way they don't get defensive and protect themselves.

The dogs playing in the rain. It's the first real rain the boys have seen!


Bella and Otter in the rain
Otter and Bella in rain


Otter in the rain
Otter playing in the rain


Zane says, "Mama. It's wet out there."
Zane in rain


Zane practicing Freestyle moves:



Bella practicing fronts. I think she understands the concept!



Bella practicing stays with the ducks and geese:

0 comments:

Post a Comment