Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Zane's Potential

I've known for awhile that Zane has a lot of potential in the obedience ring. But with his fear issues and noise sensitivity, I wasn't sure how he would handle trialing. I continued to train him, knowing he might never enter an obedience ring.

This morning at our Rally practice in the park, he proved that he may do it one day. About 50 feet from where we were practicing for Beginner Novice (not Rally, but it was too windy for the signs), they were setting up a huge bouncy castle. There was a generator going, the castle going up, and they were pounding large stakes into the ground. He heeled like a champ. He only lost focus once - on the figure 8, but got right back. He would glance away, and immediately look back at me. He was a little concerned about what was going on over there, but didn't let it stop him from doing his job. He did the rest of the exercises, including the stay-walk around and novice stays with no problem. That was a huge distraction with some sharp and loud noises, and he did it!

I've never taken my male dogs into the ring until they reach 3 years old, so Zane has plenty of time to continue training, continue working through distractions, and continue getting better. I think he'll do it.

I'm very impressed with his heeling right now. I think he's better than Bella. His about turns are gorgeous and his left turns are tight and like pivots. I cannot fault him at all. Good job Zaney Butt Head!

0 comments:

Post a Comment