Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Agility, Obedience, and Neutering

I never have a set time for spaying or neutering a dog. It's kind of individual for each dog. Today, Otter went in for his neuter. I don't typically do it this early (7 months), but I had my reasons. Otter is one of those more independent dogs, and I didn't want testosterone adding to that independence. He's already starting to lift his leg, so the testosterone is at work. So off they came. The vet said he came out of anesthesia quickly. They took him off the table and he walked back the crate. He's not real happy right now wearing the cone of shame, but a dog's gotta' live with it.

I'm pleased with Zane's weave pole training so far. We typically work morning and evening for about 5 minutes - and most of that is the tugging. We're still on 2 poles, but working on calling through with him at various positions around the clock.




One note about Zane. He is STRONG! When tugging, I have to make sure I protect my elbows and shoulders. I've had many a sore shoulder after a tugging session. I think he could pull it right out of socket.


In looking at Bella's obedience work, her biggest loss of points is going to be on the halts. She sits too far forward - forging badly. Tonight we ran through Open. She would have NQed on the broad jump. Not only did she cut the corner enough for an NQ, but she ticked the jump too. Cutting the corner is an on-going problem for her. I'm still working on it. She doesn't care if there's chicken wire there; she lands right on it. Sometimes I step into the corner. But I need to solve the problem.

0 comments:

Post a Comment