Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Rally Practice

We have some Rally trials in September to enter, so a couple of practices a week are dedicated to Rally. Here's Zane working on Rally for his dinner this evening.



Earlier this week there was a discussion of how to get straight fronts on the Aussie Board. To help others understand sidepasses and how to get them, I made this video of Otter learning the beginnings of a sidepass. All the base work for this is the brickwork.



Bella went herding on Sunday. She was a little wilder this week and her flanking wasn't as square. She also is way too well proofed for obedience. Put her in a down, and move towards her with the stick and she thinks you're proofing. She won't move. So this week I'm working on it at home with a clicker, mats, and a stick. Oh, and I'm teaching her "lie down" instead of just "down" for herding. So I ask her to "lie down" and when she does, click/treat. Then I move toward her with the stick, "shushing" her and click when she turns to the side and heads to a mat. I can send her from mat to mat getting square flanks, clicking that perfect turn. We'll see if it holds up on stock. (Yeah right - major distraction there!)

On Friday Bella and I head to San Diego for an ASCA obedience trial. Fingers crossed! We've got her halts back in place. Now the hard part is for me to remember to walk at her optimum pace - 120 bpm. Travis was a 140 bpm, and I keep wanting to go way too fast for Bella. Every time we heel I have a metronome going (app on my phone) to help me keep the right speed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment