Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Stumping Bella

I finally stumped Bella this evening. . . but only for a few minutes.

The other day, I realized that all of her go-outs have been to the same end of our practice ring (when practicing at home - she does them in other places too). So we turned around and went to the other end. That was hard because first she went to a platform, so I moved it. Then she went to a cone that was nearby (trained behavior for the Advanced Teamwork class), so I moved that. Then she finally headed to the post.

Tonight she did go-outs to both ends of the rings, then I moved the jumps out, went to one of the sides of the ring and sent her to the other side (running the short length). What did she do? She turned and went to the post she had last gone to instead of the one across the ring.

I realized I need to make her mark before the go-outs stronger. So we went to each post, stood about 4 feet from it, I marked it, and clicked when she locked on it. I gradually add more distance, then I'll feel better. I want her to mark and see where she's heading before I send her, instead of leaving me then figuring out where to go.

Zane is doing beginning go-outs. He's going a little farther than half the ring, but we build up to that each time.

And Zane's weaves are looking good! He's driving through, nice footwork, and he gets those entrances!

4 comments:

slconcann said...

Finally stumped her! I'm curious about how you tell/show them what to mark, and how you start to teach that. We're working on very short go-outs (more to convey the idea that I want them to leave me), but I'm stuck beyond 3 or 4 feet, and I think that they don't know what they are supposed to do once they leave me.

On Cue Aussies said...

There are so many methods to teaching go-outs. With Travis I did a blind retrieve. With Bella I'm training a go to the stanchion/pole and touch it. I do require her to stay by it as I walk to her to reward, sometimes asking for more touches as I walk in.

I started off very close to the stanchion/pole (I have to train both for our outdoor shows) and asked her to touch - I was right there at it, so that was the only thing to touch.

When she understood that, I added one step at a time away from it. Getting past the jumps is the hard part - they want to take the jump, not run to the gating.

When she knows where to go, she runs out fine, but it's those times when it's a strange go-out that she is getting lost, that's why I'm working on marking way out there.

She has done marking where she is sitting in heel position, I toss the cheeseball out, we mark, then I send her to it. So she knows what that hand by her face means.

So now I'm starting to mark poles/stanchions. Again, this is something I'll have to add distance to - we're only 3-4 feet away right now, and I'll add one step at a time. I click when she looks and locks on it, and reward without sending. I want to be able to mark when I set up, then send her after the "ready" and the judge's commands.

Clear as mud?

slconcann said...

Oh, yeah - the cheeseballs! I forgot about those! Next on the grocery list...

I've been using a touch stick stuck in the ground so that I can move it around. I hadn't really broken down the "mark" - I like the cheesballs and then the eye-lock-on. That will make it easier, I hope.

On Cue Aussies said...

I just videoed working on the mark and then showing how she thinks a go-out is to a specific pole, not across the ring to the pole straight across. Give me a bit to download, process, and upload, and I'll put it up.

Post a Comment